[MlMt] Hash Function Parameter? What Am I Missing Here?

Scott Blystone scott at blystone.net
Sat Nov 30 12:48:35 EST 2013

All,

The release notes of the latest developer build contained the following text:

"Revision 3872 (Friday, November 29, 2013)

The following can be used to change the hash function used for OpenPGP messages:
defaults write com.freron.MailMate MmOpenPGPHashFunction -string sha256
Do not use this if you do not know what you are doing."

What am I missing here? I have many years encryption experience but I do not understand the purpose of this parameter.The digest and hash functions are determined when the actual key itself is generated and not by the mail client!

--
Scott Blystone
Rochester, NY, US

CAcert Assurer (see http://www.cacert.org)
StartSSL Notary (see http://www.startssl.org)

Note: This address also works for instant messaging.