[MlMt] Replies above or below

Jeff Holland public-xdx77z at ouimail.org
Tue Nov 26 15:03:00 EST 2013

Jacques (26.11.2013) :

> Interesting that in the Preferences of MM, this change doesn't portray
> itself in a new Reply.

I think the setting you are looking for is Signatures > "Default
signature/caret placement", which I believe defaults to "Bottom". This
will control the caret placement even if you aren't using a signature at
all. Change it to "Top" if you prefer top-posted replies.

> PS - I agree, it's better formatted below. But the standard out there
> in email clients everywhere is above. So as others reply and the
> conversation continues - it gets very messy when the folks in a
> conversation are using different standards.

Without dwelling too much on the fact that the "standard" is
ill-conceived, I agree that a mixture of top-posted and bottom-posted
replies quickly becomes confusing. That's why I generally find it best
to only quote text from the most recent message when replying (as I have
done here), rather than preserving all replies since the thread began. I
already have those earlier messages if I need to refer back to them for
some reason, right?