[MlMt] Replies above or below

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Tue Nov 26 14:57:26 EST 2013

On 26 Nov 2013, at 12:50, Jacques wrote:

> By default MailMate positions replies below the body of text. Almost
> all other email clients I've used positions above.

That is a relatively recent style in mail clients called "top-posting"
which many people find annoying for a wide range of reasons.
Specifically for mailing lists like this one it is problematic because
it isn't conducive to focusing discussion in a thread or entering a
conversation late.

> So in a thread of conversation, the replies keep going bottom (me) and
> above (others).

Which is a natural reading order: earliest content first, latest content
last. This works better for making extended conversations accessible to
late entrants, for trimming quoted material to relevant parts, and for
splitting up complex discussions into smaller pieces with response
sections inserted where they are relevant. This is sometimes called
"bottom-posting" but that's a retronym applied to it after "top-posting"
clients (primarily from Microsoft) became widespread. It is also
something of a misnomer for the practice of trimming quotes and
subdividing responses.

> Is there a particular reasoning in this?

The traditional "bottom-posting" style with trimmed quotes and split
(BITNET LISTSERVs, Usenet, etc.) for decades. It may have won over
top-posting originally because it is friendlier to systems with limited
bandwidth & storage, but it has survived because it also is gentler to
human "bandwidth" for complex and/or extended discussion than
top-posting. Also, top-posting clients usually rely on heavyweight
formatting features (i.e. HTML) to indicate quotations, and that can
cause confusion for readers who don't use such features or use clients
that render HTML differently than the author's.

> Is there a way to change this? (I don't see it mentioned in
> preferences, maybe I'm missing it?)

I know of no way for MM to change the default insertion point and I'm
glad for that. It is a matter of one click to wherever you want the
insertion point to be, so if you really want to top-post MM won't
prevent it.