[MlMt] SmartyPants

Mon Nov 25 20:39:05 EST 2013

On 23 Nov 2013, at 15:45, Brett Terpstra wrote:

> So it would probably end up being a preference that, when enabled,
> always generated an HTML body part... given that HTML would be
> generated just by using an apostrophe or double quotes, it would seem
> like a waste of time (and unpredictable to the user, by and large) to
> parse every email to avoid sending HTML. I think it should just be
> noted when enabling SmartyPants (or smart punctuation, whatever you
> wanted to label it as) that any preference to disable HTML emails will
> be overridden.

Let’s not overthink this.

What would SmartyPants do that can’t be accomplished right now using
standard OS X text settings. These settings can be adjusted for
MailMate’s existing composer window.

I’m typing this convoluted example sentence the “lazy” way — and
everything is getting replaced… automatically.

As a bonus, this works fine for plain-text messages without requiring
any additional logic around including an HTML version.

--
Rob McBroom
http://www.skurfer.com/