[MlMt] Filename variable?

Brett Terpstra me at brettterpstra.com
Fri Nov 22 16:10:16 EST 2013

On 22 Nov 2013, at 14:56, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

> On 22 Nov 2013, at 20:56, Terpstra Brett wrote:
>
>> Sorry if this has been covered, I couldn't find it in the archives:
>>
>> Is there a way to get the filename/path for a message into an
>> environment variable for a bundle? Similar to the ${subject.body}
>> variables?
>
> Two answers:
>
> No: The reason is that even though MailMate knows the path where a
> given message should be saved then it might not have happened yet.
> Saving is handled by a separate thread.
>
> Yes: The path can be derived from the ${#source} variable which is
> kind of an IMAP URL (not quite following the IMAP URL standard).
>
> What are you going to do with the path? If it is with the purpose of
> reading the raw file then it might be better just to ask MailMate to
> provide the message on stdin (using `input = 'raw'`).

No, I'm actually playing with the idea of feeding the file url to a
script for Mavericks tagging, just to see if I can pull it off.
Ultimately useful? Dunno. Fun to try? Yep.

>> Side note: I'm just getting started on my first bundle. It currently
>> has one command that lets you grab a message URL with a shortcut key,
>> which is handy for pasting into nvALT or TaskPaper.
>
> Similar to “View ▸ Copy as Link…”?

Sonofabitch. I searched the menus for "url" instead of "link." Oh well,
it was a fun exercise and got me rolling.

>> More to come, I hope. I got addicted to writing TextMate bundles back
>> in the early days...
>
> Sounds great. Just what I need even if it exposes the missing features
> of the bundle system ;-) Questions are welcome. Eventually it'll force
> me to document more features.

You write great documentation, I'm sure you'll get to it :). I've been
poring over the help system for hours now.