[MlMt] Uh-oh. Imap just bit me...

Wed Nov 6 05:08:00 EST 2013

On 5 Nov 2013, at 17:46, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> On 4 Nov 2013, at 3:56, mail at assai.com.au wrote:
>
>> What I would like to see in MailMate is the option to have "on my
>> Mac" mail folders. This provides not only ways of safeguarding mail
>> (important: this can have legal implications these days), but also of
>> having search access to historic emails which may not be on the
>> current iMap server.
>
> I agree with all of this wholeheartedly.  I know how IMAP is meant to
> work, but the lack of local safeguards in situations like Seebs', or
> worse still given an unannounced decision by a mail server admin to
> dump messages past a certain age in order to save disk space (or
> whatever), is one of the things that worries me about using MailMate.

I'll do what I can to make this more unlikely to happen (implement some
of the warnings discussed with Seebs), but in most cases this problem is
not much different than the risk of a local corrupted (or stolen) disk.
The exception is, of course, if the server admin quietly drops old
messages and the user does not notice/know this, but I don't think that
would keep them in business for very long (and that goes for any type of
cloud service).