[MlMt] Uh-oh. Imap just bit me...

Alasdair Muckart alasdair at muckart.net
Sun Nov 3 04:29:05 EST 2013

On 3 Nov 2013, at 19:59, mailmate-list at seebs.net wrote:
> I think I've run into this before, with the notion that IMAP's goal is
> synchronization. But I don't want synchronization; I want to download
> mail and then keep it forever. I absolutely, positively, under NO
> CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, want Mailmate to conclude that because a
> file is missing on a server, obviously I don't want it anymore!

I'm sorry to hear you've had a mail loss event. I've been through that
myself, and it's no fun.

If you want fetch-and-store rather than server-stored you want something
like POP rather than IMAP. Fetchmail to a local store you access using
IMAP and MailMate would act the way you sound like you need and could be
backed up locally.

Do you use time machine at all? If you do, then you should have backups
of your MailMate cached messages in your local backups even if you don't
have them on the server backups.
--
Alasdair Muckart | William de Wyke | http://wherearetheelves.net
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a