[MlMt] Uh-oh. Imap just bit me...

mailmate-list at seebs.net mailmate-list at seebs.net
Sun Nov 3 01:59:00 EST 2013

Soooo.

A mail server went kerplooie.

And the next time I connected to the new server... Mailmate deleted all
the messages which had previously been considered to be associated with
that account, because they were no longer present on the server.

Er. That is exactly the opposite of what I wanted. Totally. In every
way.

Is there a way to configure Mailmate to obtain mail from a server, but
not to ever delete mail based on changes in the server? Also, is there
any chance that there's a way I can retrieve the several thousand
messages Mailmate just deleted? I have some limited backups of the
server, but they are somewhat out of date, and I got a lot of mail in
the last week or so that I was, frankly, sort of hoping not to have
disappear forever.

I think I've run into this before, with the notion that IMAP's goal is
synchronization. But I don't want synchronization; I want to download
mail and then keep it forever. I absolutely, positively, under NO
CIRCUMSTANCES WHATSOEVER, want Mailmate to conclude that because a file
is missing on a server, obviously I don't want it anymore!

-s