[MlMt] Refactored mailbox editor

Thu May 23 15:29:33 EDT 2013

Hi,

it has been a while since the last public release (r3323, April 9th) and
last test release (r3384, May 6th), but I have not been inactive. The
lack of beta/test releases is because MailMate has been a bit unstable
since I did some major refactorings before working on the mailbox
editor. Although I think it is stable now I decided to write to the
mailing list instead of just releasing it. If you want to try it out
then here is a direct link:
http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r3420.tbz

The list of changes is long and I have not yet rewritten the release
notes which means they are a bit chaotic with a lot of day-to-day
changes/fixes. A quick selection of the highlights follows (since
r3323), but you might want to skip them and read the concluding remarks
instead:

* First steps taken for a new mailbox editor with a few new (almost
stable) features.
* Added check boxes to smart mailbox conditions. Current caveat:
Disabled conditions are forgotten/pruned when the editor is closed.
* Improved the “Display Count” to take its default from the parent
mailbox as long as it has not been changed explicitly.
* New “Display Count” menu item: “Inherit”
* Added shortcut for “Save Attachments…” (⇧⌥⌘A).
* Now showing a tooltip with the URL target when hovering over a link.
It is not shown if the target is the same as the displayed link title.
* The preview part of the Composer window is now updated automatically
(and not just on Save).
* No longer uploading drafts to the server as long as a composer window
is open.
* De-obfuscation of email addresses when pasting text in a recipient
header, for example, "`user at domain dot com`" becomes
"`user at domain.com`".
* Improved behavior when dealing with drafts from other email clients.
They are never allowed to be sent, but they are allowed to be edited
(and then sent) if simple plain text. In all other cases, “Edit as New
Message” can be used.
* Improved detection of replying to sent messages. This no longer
requires messages to be in “Sent Messages”.
* Fixed bug related to inlining multiple images in Markdown mode. Given
a special order of events MailMate would unexpectedly terminate.
* Holding down ⌥ disables the inlining of a dragged image in Markdown
mode.
* And numerous other tweaks and fixes.

I'm currently working on the mailbox editor which is now a set of panes.
The goal is that any type of mailbox can be edited, but with a varying
set of available panes (depending on the type of mailbox). A new pane
has already been added named “Submailboxes” which allows you to
configure submailboxes similar to those shown for universal mailboxes
(like Inbox) and/or the default “Mailing Lists” mailbox. Three other
panes are planned: An account settings pane for IMAP mailboxes, a
General settings pane (name, keyboard shortcut, etc.), and a Rules pane.

This is probably the closest I've ever been to providing a roadmap for
MailMate. Please don't ask me why I haven't yet done this or that after
a few weeks or I'll never do it again. Buy another license instead —
it works much better with regard to motivation ;-)

Oh, I also expect to add “Cancel”/“Ok” buttons to the mailbox
editor and a “Show/Hide Preview” button to be able to (optionally)
list the messages matched by the current settings.