[MlMt] Markdown compose setting

Thu May 16 08:22:01 EDT 2013

On 15 May 2013, at 23:16, Gustavo Daniel Villarreal wrote:

> What is the mechanism that decides the setting for Markdown/No
> markdown on a reply/forward message? New messages always have
> Markdown. I'm finding that I'm constantly having to choose Markdown,
> as I write mostly markdown messages. Could there be a setting to make
> this always Markdown or more clearly show when markdown is
> automatically selected?

It is a tricky problem to determine whether or not Markdown can be
enabled for a reply. The replied text might contain syntax which is
interpreted to be Markdown syntax without the original writer intending
it to be so.

MailMate handles it by doing a conversion of the quoted text to HTML as
if it was Markdown text. If any non-trivial HTML is in the resulting
HTML then Markdown is disabled, because it indicates non-intended use of
Markdown. This is heuristic and it might be a bit too conservative as it
is now. For examples, replies to this mailing list (to plain text
messages) are always non-Markdown by default. This is because the footer
results in both a horizontal ruler and some links in HTML (this could be
avoided if I had implemented automatic stripping of footers, but that is
a different story).