[MlMt] Feature request: reply to list/alias

Tue Mar 26 10:27:51 EDT 2013

On 26 Mar 2013, at 15:04, Ben Beuchler wrote:

> On Mar 26, 2013 4:21 AM, "Benny Kjær Nielsen"
> <mailinglist at freron.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> I'm not sure what you mean by “alias”.
>
> An address that is expanded internally within the mail server to a
> list of
> addresses. It does this without using external mailing list software.
>
>> How is this address identified among the message headers?
>
> That's the problem; the only way to identify them is if you know that
> the
> To: address is an alias. Some mail servers, like postfix, add an
> x-original-to header indicating the alias address, but that's not
> consistently implemented. Ideally, of course, the sender would set a
> reply-to of the alias address, but that will never happen.

Do you know how Mutt figures out what the alias is?

It would probably be useful with the headers of an example message and
the expected headers of the list/alias reply.

>> MailMate has a replyList: action (relatively recently added). Using
> custom key bindings you can bind this to L, but since you state that
> you
> are not talking about mailing lists then I'm not sure this is what you
> want?
>
> What does this feature use to figure out who to reply to?

The “List-Post” header.

Off topic: Your reply had both a plain text and an HTML body part. That
is fine although it did not seem to serve any purpose, but the HTML body
part was formatted with hardcoded quoting symbols (>). This looks bad in
both MailMate and Apple Mail (and probably most other email clients). Is
this the behavior of Mutt?