[MlMt] issues with content-type matching in smart mailboxes and sorting by date in same

Thu Mar 21 15:57:29 EDT 2013

On 21 Mar 2013, at 0:38, Christopher LILJENSTOLPE wrote:

> 	I am trying to get a smart mailbox to display all messages that have
> a calendar or vcard attachment in them (anyone figure out how to get
> calendar.app to get invites out of mm yet?)  My smart mailbox is
> defined as:
>
> Show messages in:
> Any of the following mailboxes
> 	All Messages > All Body Parts
>
> Under the following conditions
> Any of the following is true
> 	content-type > subtype is calendar
> 	content-type > subtype is ics
> 	content-type > subtype is vcard
> 	content-type > subtype is Calender (yes, I see the sp6 - love to know
> which application is using it)
> 	content-type > subtype is x-vcalendar
> 	content-type > subtype is x-vcard
>
> However, not all messages are matching.  Here is a quick test I sent
> from my google calendar - this does not end up in the smart folder.
>
> Any thoughts?

The above would match the calendar body parts only. The messages they
belong to are not matched.

> Also, when sorting in any mailbox that is fed by All Messages > All
> Body Parts, date sorting doesn't work, sender sorting doesn't work,
> etc.  Somewhat understandable, since the body parts don't have dates,
> senders, etc (but the actual all messages > All body parts does sort
> correctly).

The “All Body Parts” mailbox might look like it's sorted, because a
large part of it is the root message body parts which do have dates.
Note that the non-root body parts are not sorted. You can consider that
a bug or a missing feature :-)

I think you should base your smart mailbox on “All Messages” and
then for each of your “subtype” comparisons you should enable the
“All Body Parts” option for the “is” comparison method (look in
the bottom of the comparison method popup). Some search items such as
“Unquoted Body Text” have this enabled by default, but this is not
the case for “Content-Type” comparisons.