[MlMt] Overwriting default keybindings

Wed Jul 10 11:56:03 EDT 2013

On 9 Jul 2013, at 15:35, Eric A. Meyer wrote:

> Hopefully someone with more keybinding experience than me can help
> out.  I'm trying to overwrite the standard keybindings for Reply,
> a message, it is also marked as read.  I have these lines in my custom
> keybindings file:
>
> 	"@r" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'reply:');
> 	"@R" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'replyAll:');
> 	"~@r" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', "replyList:");
> 	"@F" = ( 'setTag:', '\\Seen', 'forwardMessage:');
>
> However, while messages are replied to or forwarded just fine, the
> marking-as-read thing doesn't happen.  I know the keybindings file is
> being loaded and used because other custom keybindings in the file are
> recognized.  Any thoughts as to what I might be doing wrong?  Or is
> overwriting the default keybindings something that can't be done?

Custom key bindings only work for keys that are not “taken” by
something else. In this case the standard menu items. For some of the
key bindings it is probably possible to use System Preferences ▸
Keyboard ▸ Keyboard Shortcuts to change the default to some dummy key.
After that your bindings would work. But I wouldn't recommend that. It's
a mess and it wouldn't work for the reply-related menu items since
MailMate dynamically change these key bindings based on Composer
preferences.

Your particular problem (marking as read) is better solved by rules, but
you'll have to wait for me to release that feature :-)

(I haven't yet looked into how hard it would be to override the menu key
bindings. It would, at least, be tricky to both display the key binding
in the menu *and* override it.)