[MlMt] Dipping my toe into MailMate - what will it happen?

Tue Dec 17 17:57:18 EST 2013

On 17 Dec 2013, at 20:49, Ben Rubinstein wrote:

> Specifically:
> - where does MailMate store messages and its index files?

It's all here:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/

Messages are here in standard format:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Messages/

Database index files are here:

	~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Database.noindex/

> - when I launch the app, it offers to import accounts that it's found
> in my current default mail client (Thunderbird).  Before I do that,
> can I check what it will do?

MailMate only imports the IMAP account settings found and then fetches
all the messages from the IMAP server (MailMate is fully offline and
keeps a local copy of all messages). MailMate is IMAP only and therefore
no messages are imported directly from Thunderbird (or Apple Mail).

> Are there any other tips to avoid grief; or more positively,
> suggestions for how to find my way around the app, how to get the best
> sense for it?

If you rely on having an HTML composer then note that this is not
available in MailMate (except for simple Markdown-generated HTML). Other
common requests are HTML signatures, correspondence view, non-strict
threading of messages, message redirection, and probably much more.

It's easier to read the manual on the web page than using the built-in
Help pages (at least that is my opinion): http://manual.mailmate-app.com

Thanks for considering MailMate.