[MlMt] NNTP support.

CSS css at morefoo.com
Sun Dec 15 04:12:43 EST 2013

On Dec 15, 2013, at 3:58 AM, Igor Karpov wrote:

>> On 14 Dec 2013, at 21:40, Igor Karpov wrote:
>>
>> Three years ago you have mentioned an idea of future NNTP support in Mailmate. Is this idea still alive?
>>
>> No, I cannot say that it is. It’s not an often requested feature (most people don’t even know what it is) and I’ll have to focus on the features/issues which can ensure the future of MailMate.
>>
>> This is strange but there is no any good NNTP client for OSX nowadays.
>>
>> What about Unison from Panic? (I haven’t tried it myself.)
>>

> I have Unison. Alas, it has a poor interface (comparing to tin, slrn, mutt, pine) and a lot of bugs. And its support makes me think Panic considers Unison of little importance.
> The others are all about binary download. Exclusions are Thunderbird and Opera but if I do not use both of them as mail clients it is somewhat strange to use them as newsreaders. Most likely I’ll compile me some text-based client and will run it from terminal.

A bit OT, but…

If you don't want the hassle of building a bunch of terminal clients locally on OS-X, you might look around for free or cheap unix shell accounts.  They are getting rare these days, but those that are left probably have the full array of nntp CLI clients available.  Some probably include a few GB of NNTP access as well, which will be more than enough for old-timey text groups.

I miss DejaNews.

Charles