[MlMt] HTML to Canonical script and replies

Kee Hinckley kee+freron at hinckley.com
Tue Dec 3 17:50:08 EST 2013

On a reply this script is run and then MailMate takes the output and puts the "> " blockquote markers in front of every line. What I'm wondering is of there's any way to selectively turn off the post processing that adds the "> " lines.

What I'm trying to do (and I'd be happy to know if there's a better way) is make it so that when I reply to certain emails, it includes the HTML of the email instead of converting it. I still want it processed as markdown, so I can add (the dreaded, but required) top-comments. I can't convert the HTML to markdown because it would lose tables and other information and generally upset everyone else at the company, but my manual tests indicate this seems to work fine.

So I made a new version of HTML to Canonical that only fires if I'm replying to email that is tagged with TopReply (and that works great!). And it runs the HTML through tidy, removes the header and footer HTML tags, and wraps it all in blockquote HTML tags. I've got that almost working, but of course I'm still getting the "> " in front of every line, and that's not going to work.

--iPhoned