[MlMt] a bit of automation?

Thu Aug 22 05:10:01 EDT 2013

On 22 Aug 2013, at 10:47, Nitin Goyal wrote:

>> but it is probably easier to use the
>> [`emate`](http://manual.mailmate-app.com/emate) utility. Here is a
>> full example where everything should be on one line:
>>
>> [...]
>
> I have made a symbolic link to emate ("~/bin/emate).
> How do I run emate from there?

You can do it explicitly in the Terminal:

	/Users/<your username>/bin/emate --help

or

	~/bin/emate --help

(You can avoid the `~bin` part if it is in your default PATH.)

> How to pass these arguments to emate?

All I wrote should be on a single line. Like this:

	printf "Predefined text with the date of tomorrow with a fixed time:
`date -v+1d -v8H -v00M -v00S`\n" | ~/bin/emate mailto --send-now
--subject "The subject." --to "Receiver One <receiver1 at example.com>,
Receiver Two <receiver2 at example.com" --bcc "Receiver Three <receiver3
at example.com>" "~/Desktop/Attachment One.txt"

The first part generates body text for the message with a date for
tomorrow at 8 inserted (just an arbitrary example):

	printf "Predefined text with the date of tomorrow with a fixed time:
`date -v+1d -v8H -v00M -v00S`\n"

This is then given to `emate` via `stdin` using the pipe character: `|`.
Finally, `emate` is given arguments with the subject and recipients
followed by paths to any attachments.

Note that this is just an example. Think of `emate` as a building block.
In this example I use `printf` as another building block, but it could
be replaced by anything providing text to be given via `stdin` to
`emate`. For example, if you have a file with the body text then you
could just do like this:

	cat message_body.txt | ~/bin/emate ...

I hope that helps a bit.