[MlMt] importing

Tue Nov 13 12:46:45 UTC 2012

On 13 Nov 2012, at 13:36, Tom Gillett wrote:

> i am attempting to move from mac mail to mail mate.   In mac mail i
> have shown under ON MY MAC a folder called "Filed Email".  This is
> where i drag emails into specific sub folders appropriate to a
> particular subject.  how do i move this all to mail mate?

First of all, make sure you understand that MailMate is IMAP only. The
emails within ON MY MAC are local and not on any IMAP server. This is
the main problem. To solve it there are various alternative options:

* Use Apple Mail to create a “Filed Email” mailbox within an IMAP
account and move the emails to that mailbox (by default MailMate uses
the name “Archive” for a mailbox with the same purpose, but you can
name it whatever you want). MailMate should then automatically pick up
the new mailbox and its messages. Essentially this solution means to
first upload the messages and then download them again. It is
inefficient, but it is also the safest approach. It also requires you
have sufficient space on the server.

* Use the “File ▸ Import Messages” menu item in MailMate to import
the messages directly from the mail folder used by Apple Mail. It is
somewhere in `~/Library/Mail/V2/IMAP-.../...`.

* Use a different application for long term archival if you only want
the messages offline. I know some users like Mail Steward, but I haven't
tried it myself.

The first option is best, because it'll also keep any keywords on the
messages such as whether a message has been seen, answered, flagged,
marked as junk, etc.

Thanks for trying out MailMate!

Kind regards,