[MlMt] MM as default mail client ?

Thu Nov 8 22:37:23 UTC 2012

On 8 Nov 2012, at 22:34, Seebs wrote:

> On 8 Nov 2012, at 15:28, John Roberts wrote:
>
>> This does not work with all applications. Emailing photos from
>> Aperture, for example, opens the Apple Mail.app. is there a way to
>> set MailMate as the default mail client for all applications?
>
> My guess is no, because some apps may not have so much a default as a
> hard-coded choice. Same thing happens to me with some other stuff; on
> Windows, I have one or two programs which will ALWAYS open IE, no
> matter what my default browser is.

Yes, the default email application is only used when the “calling”
application uses the `mailto:` URL scheme. Some applications use
Applescript to communicate with a hardcoded email client. In some cases
it is possible to replace such a script to call MailMate instead of
Apple Mail. This was true for iCal on Lion, but it changed on Mountain
Lion where this no longer seems to be possible :-(