[MlMt] MM crashes when moving emails

Joachim Tingvold joachim at tingvold.com
Sat Jul 28 14:28:38 UTC 2012

On 28 Jul 2012, at 11:17, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:
> I'm amazed I haven't run into this problem before (the bug has been
> present in all versions of MailMate).

:-D

>> The crash isn't actually my primary issue here (from the developers
>> point-of-view, it probably is),
> Yes, the primary problem is that this bug can corrupt the local cache
> of messages. This is the worst kind of bug. Unfortunately I'm not sure
> I have time enough to fix it before going on a 2-week vacation. Sorry
> about that :-(

No worries. I think I can manage to avoid moving emails between folders
with the same name for 2 weeks :-P

> Understandable. It seems like a lot of work for a small problem, but
> the problem is that when MailMate detects an unexpected state of the
> local cache/database (there are numerous checks in the code for
> unexpected states) then there is no way to know exactly what the
> problem is. If MailMate ignores the problem or tries to fix it without
> knowing exactly what happened is too dangerous. It could escalate the
> problem to a more serious state with the risk of leading to data loss.

I see. Is there a difference between this scenario, and the scenario
where you move emails between folders on another client while MM is
running? Wouldn't that be the same, more or less?

--
Joachim