[MlMt] MM crashes when moving emails

Joachim Tingvold joachim at tingvold.com
Sat Jul 28 01:31:19 UTC 2012

Hi,

MM seems to crash when moving emails from one folder to another (within
the same folder-level), if the folder-name is the same (but with
different case, i.e. 'Inbox' and 'INBOX'). Upon restarting MM, it seems
to have actually moved the messages, as it complains about emails it
can't find (in the folder where the messages originally was located).

The crash isn't actually my primary issue here (from the developers
point-of-view, it probably is), but I find the question-dialogue, that
pops up when MM starts again, a bit weird. When it states it cannot find
the emails, it gives me 3 options (if I recall correctly); 1) retry, 2)
re-download all messages, and 3) rebuild from cache. What is the logic
here? Obviously it won't find the emails (since they seem to have been
moved after all), so option 1) isn't going to help me. Option 2) and 3)
baffles me a bit -- why does it need to download/reload from cache the
_ENTIRE_ mail-database, because of 2 emails that has moved? Why can't it
just try to locate the missing emails in the _background_? (out of my
way).

Right now, option 3) is preferred over option 2), when it comes to how
long time it takes. Nevertheless, option 3) took almost an hour to
complete (196k messages imported) where it also used 90% of my CPU all
the way. And all that for just 2 emails. (-:

Sorry for the rant.

--
Joachim