[MlMt] Feature Request: Editing Received or Sent Message

Tue Feb 7 10:09:42 UTC 2012

On 7 Feb 2012, at 9:57, Bob Stern wrote:

> Permit editing of subject and body of received or sent messages
> (without creating a new outgoing message).

This violates the standards and it would be inefficient with respect to
IMAP servers. The only way to update a message on an IMAP server is to
delete it and then upload a new one (then imagine a message with a 10MB
attachment).

> This is an important feature to long-time Eudora users.

I have had a request once before for the editing of the subject line.
This was for correcting bad subject lines. If I implemented a solution
for that then it would be by using some kind of alternative subject line
shown instead of the real subject line. The problem is that this would
only work locally (not uploaded to the IMAP server).

I'm not sure why you would want to edit the body of a message (other
than stripping attachments which is a feature not implemented yet), but
I assume it is because you would like to add some notes for later
reference? If this is the case then I have considered some kind of
note-system implemented by saving notes in a (special) reply to the
message. These notes could (optionally) be in a separate mailbox and
MailMate could hide this mailbox and instead show the notes inline with
the original message. But I haven't done any work on that.

> Editing the subject is very important to ensure it includes keywords
> that intersect smart mailboxes and searches.

Ok, that sounds more like a request for better tagging support in
MailMate, but I can see how you could use the subject line to do this.

> The editing of the message body should include adding color, bold,
> italic and underline to selected text.  Color is very important
> because it is more conspicuous than the other attributes.

Sorry, but that's not on the todo. Just being honest. Part of the
explanation can be found here:
http://blog.freron.com/2011/thoughts-on-writing-emails-using-markdown/