[MlMt] Test version available: Support for tags using IMAP keywords

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Dec 15 00:57:27 UTC 2012

On 13 Dec 2012, at 18:22, Alexandre Takacs wrote:

> On 11 Dec 2012, at 15:14, Thomas Eckhold wrote:
>
>> Just a quick feedback: Tagging works really nice and I really like
>> the unobtrusive and highly functional UI! Very well done!
>
> I'm sure a bit unimaginative / dumb but what are you guys doing with
> this (= use case) ?
>
> I'd hate to miss on something seemingly useful :)

General concept: User-defined IMAP flags are an organizational tool that
lets you label messages with multiple arbitrary characteristics that are
stored on the IMAP server and can be seen by any IMAP client. The basic
infrastructure is used for standard operational flags (\Seen, \Recent,
\Draft, \Deleted, etc.) and a collection of flags used in formally
specified IMAP extensions ($Junk, $MDNSent, etc.) and can be used to
classify messages multi-dimensionally, with more flexibility than the
mechanism of sorting messages into various IMAP folders.

I have used tagging in the past to make identification of a subset of a
large message collection faster when the alternative is an expensive
(even in MailMate) full body search. For example, I have many messages
logging backup activity that must live in a shared mailbox for a very
long time, but for me there's only a ~5% subset that I am likely to need
to look at after skimming them on arrival. Finding those later would
demand a body search, but if I tag them when I first see them I never
have to do that search.