[MlMt] Test version available: Support for tags using IMAP keywords

Fri Dec 14 09:26:51 UTC 2012

On 14 Dec 2012, at 9:43, Thomas Eckhold wrote:

>> I believe this would be possible if MailMate supported OpenMeta
>> (which is supported by EagleFiler). Unfortunately I'm not so sure
>> about the future of OpenMeta (because of the sandboxing rules of the
>> Mac App Store). But I haven't read up on the details yet — I don't
>> even know how much work OpenMeta support would require.
>
> Maybe it could be done the other way around and Michael could
> implement in EagleFiler the function to read IMAP keywords. I guess
> they are stored "inside" the messages. Would that be possible at all?

No, IMAP keywords are stored on the IMAP server as meta data. OpenMeta
would allow MailMate to also save them as metadata of files on disk.
Currently MailMate keeps them in a database index file only (which
should not be read by EagleFiler).

It would be possible though to add a header with tags to messages when
exporting them from MailMate and that might be searchable in EagleFiler.
This is a game of pros and cons, but one solution does not exclude the
other.