[MlMt] Feature Suggestion: Making mailer daemon-mails easier readable

Thu Apr 12 06:39:31 UTC 2012

On 12 Apr 2012, at 8:16, Niels Kobschätzki wrote:

> today I tumbled over this article:
> http://dewith.com/2012/this-is-the-mail-system/
> tl;dr: MUAs could interpret Mailer-Daemon mails and make them easier
> readable.
> Even so MailMate is a poweruser-MUA I think the idea is great :)
>
> What do you guys think about this article?

I think it is a good example of the desired direction of MailMate. Under
the hood, MailMate is built with the intention of making it possible to
filter messages through scripts at various points, e.g., before
displaying them. This is already used to convert markdown or
canonicalized text to HTML -- or simply to strip some whitespace from
messages before replying. I would also like it to make it possible to
filter MDNs (like in your link) through a script which could add HTML to
what is displayed. That would make it possible to put in a sensible
error description for MDNs. Some of the choices given would require some
additional functionality in MailMate, but the basic idea is that a
feature as described in the link should be possible to implement (to
some degree) by simply extending MailMate with some scripts.

I would also like PGP support to work like this although that may be
tricky, because of the insertion/removal of body parts needed, i.e.,
built-in support (like the current limited support) may be better in
this case.