[MlMt] Message list in Widesreen mode

Wed Oct 19 12:34:46 UTC 2011

On 19 Oct 2011, at 14:06, Ladislav Snizek wrote:

> I've used OS X Lion's Mail for a few days. It's very slow and clumsy.
> Happy to go back to MailMate.

Welcome back :-)

> I found the message list very easy to read. Same for iPhone and iPad.
>
> Have you considered refitting the Widescreen view so that the message
> list can be made really narrow, with each message occupying multiple
> lines in the list? Also formatting using bold font, colour, etc.
> improves readability greatly.

Yes, I have (also before Lion). It looks great, but I don’t think I
would use it myself. With the current messages outline you have detailed
control of the information to be displayed for a given mailbox (via the
available set of columns). The columns in MailMate are defined in a
formatting language and I did consider how this formatting language
could be extended to make something like what you see in Lion Mail. But
it would require adding control over font sizes, colors, alignment,
string abbreviation, and probably more in the formatting language.
Obviously non-trivial. So, I’ve considered it and although I have not
rejected the concept, it is also not at the top of my list.