[MlMt] MailMate beta available (r2604)

Thu Dec 1 14:06:01 UTC 2011

## MailMate status

It has been a while since the latest public release of MailMate (2
months). Usually, a small group of beta testers use the iterations of
MailMate between public releases, but this has not been the case this
time. Mainly because some of the changes have been to core parts of
MailMate and several things had to be done before it could be used to
replace the latest public release of MailMate.

## Download beta

You can help me out by testing the most recent beta of MailMate before
its official release. It can be downloaded by holding down ⌥ while
selecting the “MailMate ▸ Software Update ▸ Check Now...” menu
item. Alternatively, you can [download it
here](http://updates.mailmate-app.com/archives/MailMate_r2604.tbz).

If you download it then I recommend you do the following:

* Open “Preferences ▸ General” and enable the crash log
submissions (“Phone Home”).
* Open “Preferences ▸ Software Update” and make it watch for
“Beta builds”.

## Is there an HTML composer in MailMate now?

No, not really. The HTML body part of this message was generated by
MailMate, because the message was written using so-called Markdown
syntax. That is, the message has two alternative body parts. A plain
text body part which looks exactly as I wrote it, and an HTML body part
which is generated automatically based on the plain text. I'll write
more about that in a future blog post, but I think it's a pretty cool
:-) You need to enable it in the Composer pane of the Preferences if you
want to try it out yourself. You can [go
here](http://blog.freron.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/preview.html) to
get an idea of what is possible using this feature.

**Note:** I'm not 100% sure that the mailing list software is not going
to mangle this message some way. And I have no idea what happens if you
have chosen to receive messages in the digest format (but you really
shouldn't use that anyways).

## Release notes

Detailed release notes are shown when you launch MailMate.

## Feedback

Provide feedback on this list or via the “Help ▸ Send Feedback...”
menu item. Whatever you think is most appropriate. Don't use the issues
reporter since it could confuse non-beta users.