[MlMt] virtual Date Received when header does not actually exist

Mason Mark mason at fivespeed.com
Wed Apr 6 05:29:20 UTC 2011

I tend to sort my mail by 'Date Received'.

After the import, I noticed Mail.app (annoyingly) shows all 30,000 messages as being received "Today".

MailMate, on the other hand, (awesomely) shows them all as being received on the actual date of the message (the date that the message's Date header field indicates).

Viewing the message source, I see that only a minimal set of headers is actually present, and there are no "Received:" headers at all.

Am I correct in thinking that, if no "Received:" headers are actually present, MM uses the "Date:" field as the date received (for the purpose of sorting).

And probably Mail.app decides to use the first date it saw the message?

In any case, I am pleased by this aspect of MailMate's behavior, it is something that is often problematic with IMAP clients when doing stuff like this.