[MlMt] messages re-sort when marked as read

Mike Karels mike at karels.net
Mon Mar 25 15:01:58 EDT 2024

On 25 Mar 2024, at 13:39, Bill Cole wrote:

> On 2024-03-25 at 13:41:53 UTC-0400 (Mon, 25 Mar 2024 12:41:53 -0500)
> Mike Karels <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
> is rumored to have said:
>
>> The only thing that changed in the general timeframe when I noticed the problem was that I upgraded my mail server to a FreeBSD version with a newer sendmail.  Of course, MailMate doesn't talk directly to sendmail for incoming mail.  The IMAP server is dovecot.
>
> I don't keep up with the nitty-gritty of Sendmail config on all platforms, but  this *could* be caused by a change in how it accepts mail via SMTP or how it delivers to dovecot. E.g. if the multiple copies are sent to multiple envelope recipients handled by the same MX, it is possible that sendmail previously allowed that to all happen in one transaction with one copy of the message being  accepted with multiple RCPT commands but now forces the deliveries to be split up for spam detection purposes. It also could be that the sendmail definition of  the 'mailer' delivery agent it uses for dovecot delivery has changed to force envelope-splitting at that stage.

The local delivery is done to /var/mail, so I should look at the messages before they are read.  There is nothing in the release notes about changes in handling multiple messages, although there are other significant changes (e.g. being stricter about the end-of-line handling).  I think the messages would have to be delivered separately, as the RCPT would be the same for each at that point.

> I don't know that there's any documentation of MM doing useful duplicate detection, and I have never seen it mark any of the duplicates that I receive, which are largely due to people sending me copies of on-list replies and various systems (e.g. ASF Bugzilla) mailing me both directly and via a mailing list. My dupes never deliver to the same mailboxes (thanks to procmail) but they also never arrive on the same SMTP connection, so MM would have a hard time identifying them as dupes.

I don't think MailMate is identifying them as dups, just changing the sort in some subtle way.  But those are the only messages that "jump" when read.

Thanks,
		Mike