[MlMt] "X-Envelope-to" - should be more visble

Michael Nietzold lists.freron.com at nietzold.com
Wed Mar 6 14:54:26 EST 2024

Out of 71k in "All Messages"
There are 61k are in a Submailbox where I have condition:
`X-Envelope-To` -> `exists`
= araound 85%

It seems some Mailer "destruct" many recipients or mailing lists from
the `to` into the "real" e-mail where it is delivered to.

I just found it because I inspected a Mail where I did not see an `to`
header.

> I don't think you can get the simple Search box to search non-standard
> headers. You can make it search all text and "common" headers, but
> this one isn't common.

But it would be nice to have some settings to include some more headers
to be indexed. Maybe somehow with `defaults write`

>> Some of them are don't have a to: header
> Technically not wrong if at one time it had a Bcc.

But the problem: with the normal search I can not find them in the mails
- because the only place where it can be found a match with an eMail is
in the `x-envelope-to`

> If you pull down the menu with header names, you will see "Other..."
> at the very end.

I also found it when I put this in the search box: `X-Envelope-to:
myname at mydomain.com`

>> I would also like to see this header as a line in the mail view.
>
> Not a lot of people would find that useful, given the general rarity
> of that specific header...

If it is so rare, then nobody get hurt when it is included. When the
header is not available then the line does not show up (like the missing
line when there is no `to:` header)

For me it would be also ok to add this setting with a `defaults write`
to my mail mate setup

> However, what would be great is if there was a better way to select
> which headers are in the standard displayed set.

I agree, a generic setting would be nice to define which additional
headers should be shown in the message view.