[MlMt] very slow autofill of addresses

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Jan 27 13:14:30 EST 2024

On 2024-01-27 at 12:59:19 UTC-0500 (Sat, 27 Jan 2024 09:59:19 -0800)
Jo <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> I don't know if this is a mailmate problem or a general mac problem,
> but lately when I start typing an address/contact name in the 'to'
> field, the lag time is ridiculous before it fills out the whole
> address. I don't remember it being like this previously, and I haven't
> added a bunch of emails to my contacts or anything. Is there a cache
> to clear somewhere/somehow or something??

MM looks (optionally) at your macOS contacts and at headers in a mailbox
of your selection (by default: "Recipient" headers of the Sent aggregate
mailbox.) It could be very slow if you have a very large address book OR
if you have MM configured to use a very large reference mailbox. A
tactic I use to control the huge number of items MM needs to pick from
is that I created a smart mailbox that is just Sent items less than 2
years old, and I set MM (in Preferences->Composer) to reference that
mailbox instead of my 30-year Sent mailbox.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org
Not Currently Available For Hire