[MlMt] Thread expansion logic?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Wed Feb 28 11:57:12 EST 2024

Is it just me or is the logic controlling how MM expands threads
incomprehensible?

I mostly read mail in per-source submailboxes of a smart mailbox that
aggregates threads with unread messages across subfolders of multiple
accounts, including mostly non-INBOX sources. Much of the mail is
mailing lists like this one, where threads are important. I have found
that recent test builds (roughly: 59xx and 6xxx) have lost any
discernible pattern in how threads are expanded in relation to unread
messages. Often I go into a mailbox and find some threads expanded down
to the first unread message, some fully collapsed despite having unread
messages one or two levels down, and some expanded to reveal all unread
messages.

I do not see any UI that would help tune this in any way. My ideal
behavior would be to have threads expanded by default to reveal any
unread messages.

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org