[MlMt] Gmail tag syncing

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sat Feb 3 10:31:30 EST 2024

On 2024-02-02 at 22:46:57 UTC-0500 (Fri, 02 Feb 2024 19:46:57 -0800)
 devynosborne at gmail.com <mailmate at lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

> Hm, I take that back. At some point today, the tag removal was properly synced. It just didn’t do it right away, even after a manual sync. Maybe it waited for some sort of mailbox refresh?

Webmail+IMAP systems like GMail's are likely to have transient synchronization issues because the web and IMAP interfaces each have to work with their own versions of the mailstore in conflicting ways that are reconciled behind the scenes literally when you're not looking: changes in one mailfolder from one client other than adding or purging messages are likely to not be visible in another client while it has that folder open, and some changes (like purging messages marked as deleted) may only be done 'for real' when a client switches to a different folder.

And at the scale of GMail, they may well also have simple replication delays because different clients are attaching to different actual machines which might be on opposite sides of the planet (in principle) and nothing is actually instantaneous (except maybe neutrino type transitions...) so the mailstore is eventually consistent in all views.