[MlMt] address book

Glenn Parker glenn.parker at comcast.net
Sat Nov 25 17:18:24 EST 2023

On 21 Nov 2023, at 14:00, Espresso Saarinen wrote:

> mailmate seems to have an internal address book.  it is causing
> embarrassing mis-addressing.  how do i find it and adjust its
> attitude?

MailMate uses the Mac OS’s Contacts database, but it also has an extra
auto-complete function that extracts suggested address completions from
a specified mail folder. You configure which folder it scans and the
email header to use (or you can disable this feature) in the Composer
tab of the Preferences dialog.

One way to get rid of a bad address completion is to delete all the
messages that use it from your chosen auto-complete folder. If it’s
just one or two bogus messages, that’s an easy fix.

MailMate also maintains a simple “Blacklist” of email addresses that
should never be used for auto-complete. You add address to the Blacklist
by right-clicking on it in an email header, then selecting “Add
[address] to Blacklist”. You’ll get a choice of adding the address
with the descriptive name, or just the pure address. The former allows
you to block embarrassing misspellings of a name without blocking the
email address itself.

Note that there is no user interface for removing names from
MailMate’s Blacklist, but you can fairly easily edit the file
~/Library/Application Support/MailMate/Blacklist.plist to remove entries
if need be.

> and, when the addressee is in my contacts.app, how does the dang thing
> decide between their home and work addresses and how do i tell it what
> i want?

I think all email addresses in the Contacts.app database are available
for auto-complete (unless they have been blacklisted). You choose which
one to use, not MailMate. As you type an address, you should see a list
of all partial matches to choose from using your mouse, or the up/down
arrow keys followed by Enter.

Glenn P. Parker
glenn.parker at comcast.net