[MlMt] Improving search performance?

Robert Wall rswall at rswall.com
Tue May 3 11:06:53 EDT 2022

>>> Hi, I’ve got ~600k messages across two accounts, and performing a “simple” search (e.g. using search bar, typing “mailmate”, hitting enter) takes about ~10-20 seconds to get results. Is there anything I can do to improve that initial time to results short of deleting a bunch of old email?
>>
>> I always thought the search was actually on your local copy of all the mail account files, so therefore is as fast/slow as your access to CPU and Disk.

The fact that MailMate stores messages as individual files adds considerable overhead to any file operations - including search - assuming there's no index that can assist.

Try zipping up a 100 MB file, then try zipping up that same 100 MB when it's composed of 100,000 tiny files. Or copying those two file sets to a flash drive. You'll see the sort of thing I'm talking about. :)

Not a knock on MailMate in any way. I can't think of any .eml based mail client that could do the job any better.