[MlMt] Alert sending from email address?

Shoshanna Green shoshannag at gmail.com
Wed Oct 7 11:24:22 EDT 2020

On 7 Oct 2020, at 10:10, Annamarie Pluhar wrote:

> I would love it if when I’m about to send an email from this gmail
> address I get an alert that says something like “Do you really want
> to use this email?”  With a yes or no I can click.

See "Custom Message Verifications" at
https://manual.mailmate-app.com/hidden_preferences -- it will do exactly
what you want! Copy the sample there to get the format the plist file
needs to be in; then just replace the "conditions" line in the sample
with

from ~ 'YOUR-GMAIL-ADDRESS';

(which means "the From: line contains YOUR-GMAIL-ADDRESS") and set the
"title" and "details" lines to display whatever alert you want to be
alerted with.

The easiest way to figure out how to format your conditions, if you're
not fluent in whatever syntax plist files use, is to create a smart
folder with the conditions you want and then inspect its definition by
quitting MailMate and opening the mailboxes.plist file to see how the
smart folder is defined there.

You can check for multiple conditions at a time, and have as many
independent verifications as you want. I have about a dozen, ensuring
that I don't send work email from my church-board address, don't send
board business messages from anything *but* my church-board address,
don't send personal mail to a work contact, don't fail to BCC myself or
use the wrong signature (I have auto-BCC set, but if I change the
sending address after I've begun composing a message the BCC or sig
sometimes fails to change accordingly), don't reply to a mailing list
when I mean to reply to an individual poster, etc. etc. -- the ability
to set up such verifications was one of the factors that originally drew
me to MailMate!

Shoshanna Green
shoshannag at gmail.com