[MlMt] Getting started with MailMate

Andrew Buc abuc at andrewbuc.com
Sun Nov 22 15:46:23 EST 2020

Thanks for your response. The fact that we both use Fastmail puts us on the same page.

> On Nov 22, 2020, at 11:05 AM, Martin S Taylor <mailmate at martinstaylor.com> wrote:
>
> The snag you're likely to hit is that MailMate doesn't support mailboxes held 'On My Mac' as Apple Mail names it. It can only access mailboxes held on an IMAP server such as FastMail. The FastMail server will have a fair amount of space set aside for you: the exact amount depends on which scheme you pay for. However, if you have masses of old mail archived 'On My Mac', you should check that there's room on the FastMail server.

I think I’ll need to upgrade from my current 2GB plan to the 30GB plan.

I noodled around with MailMate a few years ago, and ISTR that there was an option to import my entire Apple Mail database into MailMate, although I didn’t actually do it. I take it that that doesn’t address the issue you mention above, even if the database can be imported?

> When you've ascertained that, you'll have to transfer all your Apple Mail folders which are stored 'On My Mac' onto the IMAP server at FastMail. You can do this by setting up Apple Mail so that it can access the IMAP server at FastMail, and then just dragging the folders from 'On My Mac' to FastMail.

I assume this would be a separate account in Apple Mail? As I said earlier, I don’t want to ditch the POP3 mailbox until things are squared away with MailMate.

> Does that make sense? It's hard to judge your level of expertise from one posting, so shoot back with any questions.

My level of expertise is pretty low.