[MlMt] Fastmail labels

Scott mailmate at howyagoin.net
Tue Apr 14 18:43:14 EDT 2020

Hi,

> Fastmail introduces support for labels ([link][1]). It appears that
> labels are supported by the new protocol they worked on, [JMap][2].
>
> Otherwise over IMAP I think that labels are exposed as regular
> folders, just like email.
>
> I wonder if something can be done in Mailmate, if not for then JMap,
> then at least the ability to map “Tags” to folders, just like we
> can for Gmail labels. When I tried it yesterday, it didn’t seem to
> work, the mechanism seems to be specific to Gmail.

Mildly off-topic, but, I did submit a support request for the Fastmail
label "beta" that they make *their* protocol support IMAP tags/labels.

Their back-end IMAP environment already correctly supports IMAP tags,
and there may be others who would prefer to see their "labels" inherit
(optionally) the already-existing tags that customers may have created.

It would save a lot of work and add some great functionality to their
UI/front-end, I feel.

They shrugged a bit at my request, but, perhaps if others ask for it,
they'll consider it.

(Which isn't to say I wouldn't like to see JMAP get a bit of traction
and supported by other clients, but, that hasn't quite happened yet.
Probably a bit of chicken/egg going on.)

Scott