[MlMt] emate and OpenPGP

John Rakestraw lists at johnrakestraw.com
Sun Apr 12 11:25:07 EDT 2020

Hi, list --

I have a script that generates an email to be sent by emate to a
particular address. I'd like that email to be encrypted using OpenPGP.

I have an entry in ~/Library/Application Support/Mailmate/Security.plist
that specifies the key that I want to use, and I have mail mate security
preferences set to encrypt a message based on history.

If I generate a new email in Mailmate to this address and then encrypt
and send the email and then compose another email to that same address
in mailmate, it does what I expect -- i.e., the second email defaults to
being encripted.

But when I run the script to generate an email and then send the email
using emate, the message is not encrypted. Oddly (I think), if I then
generate a new email to that address in mailmate, the email does not
default to encryption, so it seems that sending the email in emate
resets the default even though it doesn't honor the history.

I get the same result -- i.e., no encryption, if I execute the emate
command directly in the terminal.

Perhaps I've missed something obvious, but I've read the mailmate
documentation for emate and for setting hidden preferences and don't see
a way to do this.

Is it possible?

Thanks --

John