[MlMt] How to increase the font size of a received email?

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Sun Aug 18 15:07:09 EDT 2019

On 18 Aug 2019, at 13:42, Roger Bohn wrote:

> I have been trying and asking for years. It is possible to change
> fonts of metadata like subject and the interface. But I have not found
> a way to enlarge the text itself. With my eyes, that is a major
> annoyance.

The command-key and menu commands somehow work for me, given 2
subtleties:

1. The body area is active, i.e. it's the last region clicked.
2. The body is not a rendering of an HTML part that specifies a font
size.

#2 is not an unreasonable design choice. There's no universal need to
specify font size in HTML. It is perfectly reasonable and common in mail
software to compose HTML mail without an explicit font size, as MailMate
does when generating HTML, so when an HTML message does specify a font
size it is a sign that the font size is important and should be honored.

That makes rational sense, although it is not compatible with how some
composers of HTML behave. Unfortunately,  messages with overspecified
HTML also tend to have inadequate plain text alternative parts or none
at all, so while "Prefs->Viewer->Message View->Prefer plain text" will
usually make it possible to adjust font size. as a practical matter that
is likely to be inadequate. Hopefully at some point Benny will replicate
what Safari does to zoom text to have mercy on old guys like me...

--
Bill Cole
bill at scconsult.com or billcole at apache.org