[MlMt] Counter in dock icon

Pascal Felber pfelber at pobox.com
Fri Oct 5 07:00:42 EDT 2018

Hi,

I am using BetterTouchTool together with the GoldenChaos-BTT extension
to customise the touch bar of my laptop, and notably show the number of
unread messages. There are a number of scripts provided to extract the
number of unread messages from various mail clients, but not MailMate.
When trying to adapt the scripts to support MailMate, I got the feeling
that MailMate does not use the same UI elements to display the
counter/badge. For all other applications, the scripts extracts the
number as follows:

   set badgeNumber to value of attribute "AXStatusLabel" of UI element
"MailMate" of list 1

but this returns systematically an empty value, whereas for other
programs that have a badge I would get the count.

If there is any alternative way to easily get this value, I'd be glad to
know. Thanks!

Pascal

P.S. For reference, here is the full script for Apple Mail:

if application "Mail" is running then
	tell application "System Events"
		tell process "Dock"
			try
				set badgeNumber to value of attribute "AXStatusLabel" of UI element
"Mail" of list 1
				if badgeNumber exists then
					if badgeNumber contains "iPhone" then
						return "iPhone"
					else if badgeNumber contains "iPad" then
						return "iPad"
					else if badgeNumber contains "watch" then
						return "Watch"
					else if badgeNumber contains "Mac" then
						return "Mac"
					else