[MlMt] spinning beachball of death

James Galvin galvin at elistx.com
Fri Jan 12 07:29:38 EST 2018

On 11 Jan 2018, at 9:16, Steven M. Bellovin wrote:

> Do you have any very large mailboxes? That was causing serious
> performance problems for me after I upgraded to High Sierra. Starting
> with some code I found online, I developed a Python script to split
> mailboxes by month or year; that solved my problems.

Large is somewhat relative but I don’t think so.  “All Messages”
is the largest of course but then I’ve had this problem just before I
upgraded to High Sierra.

I do have a fair number of smart mailboxes.  Benny suggested offline
that there might be a problem with one of my smart mailboxes.  It was
just a few months ago that I restructured my mail filtering, which is
about the same time that this problem started.  I can’t say for
certain which came first but I know how I’d bet.  In any case, it has
slowly but surely been getting worse.

Hopefully Benny will notice something.  And if I’m really lucky it
will even be as simple as delete and recreate “this mailbox”.

Jim