[MlMt] DKIM validation at client level

Bill Cole mmlist-20120120 at billmail.scconsult.com
Fri Oct 6 00:00:48 EDT 2017

On 5 Oct 2017, at 17:05, Alexandre Takacs wrote:

> Hello
>
> Sorry if I missed it, but I can't seem to find information on this
> topic.
>
> Is there any provision in MM to validate DKIM informations in received
> mail (either built in or via some bundle) ?

None that I'm aware of. This is unsurprising, since DKIM validation
after final delivery and IMAP retrieval is potentially problematic. It
might work, but it might not for no reason of any piece of the delivery
and rtrieval chain being wrong.

> Any pointer appreciated.

If I were to do this, I would FIRST check for an
"Authentication-Results" header added by my own trustworthy server, if
my own trustworthy server added such headers. Were that header to be
absent, I would install the 'opendkim' package (available in MacPorts
and probably Homebrew) and rig up something to pipe messages into the
opendkim-testmsg tool an check the result code.

The value of DKIM validation at any point is dubious, given that anyone
can DKIM-sign their messages for the cost of a domain and some DNS and
MTA config clues.