[MlMt] Moving messages

John D. Muccigrosso muccigrosso at icloud.com
Tue Sep 27 10:01:42 EDT 2016

On 27 Sep 2016, at 9:09, Rob McBroom wrote:

> On 26 Sep 2016, at 15:34, John D. Muccigrosso wrote:
>
>> When the box pops up to select a mailbox to move the selected message
>> into, it takes only one click to make the move. That is, select and
>> move are both combined. I keep expecting to have to double click and
>> therefore move two messages.
>
> Reasonable people can disagree, but I think it’s supposed to be as
> fast a process as possible, so the current behavior seems fine to me.
>
> Honestly, my first thought was “You can use the mouse on that
> window?” Have you given the keyboard a try there? The search is
> Quicksilver-like so you can get the folder you want very quickly. For
> example, to select “Inbox → Work Account”, you could just type
> “iwac” (or less) then hit ↩.

Fair enough. I do use the keyboard to find the right mailbox, but not to
activate it.

On the clicking, I can’t think of a similar interface where you click
once to select & implement something from a box like that (though to be
honest, that box isn’t very Mac-like at all, is it?).

Speed-wise, a double click is a tiny bit slower than a single one, sure,
but that box just screams “double-click!” at me and my muscle memory
takes over. In fact I just did it again while testing even though I know
how it works! :-)

Another thing: once the move has been effectuated, the box should close.
It looks to me like if I click on a mailbox, it stays open (not sure
why), but if I hit return or double-click, it closes.

So, in my book, very odd behavior in several ways.

I assume the other similar interfaces work similarly (like
go-to-mailbox).

John