[MlMt] where to put rules for mailboxes?

Wed Sep 2 11:06:18 EDT 2015

On 2 Sep 2015, at 16:46, Kearney Buskirk wrote:

> Beginning question: where to put rules for mailboxes? That is, best to
> put rules on a source’s inbox, or on the source itself, or on the
> inbox for all sources?

Definitely not on the source itself since it would be triggered whenever
an email is moved around within the account. I should probably consider
disabling the Rules pane for this (and All Messages).

The universal Inbox (the one under MAILBOXES) is a good choice for
general rules, but if you know the relevant messages arrive in a
particular account then you can also use the INBOX of that account.

You can also add rules to other mailboxes, e.g., add rules to the
Archive mailbox if you want to put some archived emails in another
special archive mailbox.

> I assume mail comes into a source’s inbox, from where it would be
> distributed to its “children” mailboxes..

Yes, except if you have server-side filtering of emails or you have used
another email client to move some emails. For example, the Archive
technique described above would work even if you archived using an iOS
email client.