[MlMt] Setting up SS and MM: mark messages as Not Junk?

Mon Oct 12 16:55:03 EDT 2015

On 12 Oct 2015, at 15:02, Sparky Doosan wrote:

> Again I apologize for trying to come up to speed quickly, I'm sure
> this is well-documented somewhere but still I ask... what does
> "MailMate will tell the mail server that it's not junk" mean?

An IMAP server with a dedicated mailbox for junk emails might interpret
moving a message out of this mailbox as a sign that the message wasn't
junk. There is not dedicated message an email client can send to the
IMAP server to tell it that something is or is not junk. It can only be
done implicitly.

Another possibility (I don't know if this happens in practice) is that
the server keeps an eye on the $Junk/$NotJunk IMAP keywords which are
kind of standard. MailMate applies/removes these keywords whenever a
message is moved in/out of the Junk folder.

> I suppose a better question would be, is there MM equivalent to
> http://c-command.com/spamsieve/help/using-spamsieve ?

No, that is the best I can offer you for now. In my opinion it's more
readable at http://manual.mailmate-app.com, because I don't really like
the Apple Help system.

> I mean I do see the excellent Introduction in Help but the statement
> in question seems to suggest I haven't set up my server IMAP folders
> correctly yet. My other recent question (and quick answer, thanks
> again) points this way, I needed to get my Sent folder properly
> configured.

The same may be true for the junk folder of each of your accounts.
Especially if the server “watches” what goes in/out of some
dedicated Junk folder.