[MlMt] Migrating from Postbox

Fri Jun 12 19:24:27 EDT 2015

On 12 Jun 2015, at 17:15, Vincent Acheson wrote:

> She never does anything to manage the ever-growing pile
> of guff in her inbox - 901 unread. I'm hoping I can work out a way to
> sort the wheat from the chaff using smart mailboxes(!!). The counter
> customisations are looking really attractive right now!

The last time I cleaned up an account for one of my parents I simply
double-clicked from addresses or subjects in the messages outline in
order to easily delete groups of messages:

* Double click a field in the messages outline.
* Hit ⌘A to select all of the messages.
* Hit delete.
* Hit escape.
* Repeat

It was also useful with the Submailboxes feature in the mailbox editor
to quickly overview what kind of messages were in the Inbox (also based
on From address).

For the future it might be useful with rules to separate the emails into
separate mailboxes automatically. For example, create an IMAP mailbox
named “Newsletters” and add a rule to the Inbox (or maybe Archive)
with a condition like “From ▸ Address is in NewsLetters From ▸
Address” (and an action to move to Newsletters). After moving some
newsletters manually then they should start being moved automatically.