[MlMt] Threading Confusion

Sat Jan 17 08:05:38 EST 2015

On 17 Jan 2015, at 6:55, Marco Carmosino wrote:

> I have the latest MailMate (5035 64 bit beta). Looking at my inbox, I
> can hit the "Thread" button and get a "same threads" view. But this
> doesn't seem to update when new messages arrive, i.e. it isn't a
> "dynamic" query.

It should be dynamic. Are you sure? Note that it takes you to the “All
Messages” folder (if you don't hold down ⌥) which might make a
difference if you have configured this mailbox differently.

> Is there a way to set it up such that, if a single message from a
> thread is in a mailbox, then all messages from that thread are
> displayed, threaded, in the viewer?

Yes. Here is the “recipe” for the Inbox:

1. Select the Inbox.
2. Make sure no messages are selected (⌘-click any selected messages).
3. Click the Thread button.
4. Click the “Save” button to store the result as a smart mailbox.

This mailbox should show you the Inbox including any other messages in
the same threads.

If you edit the smart mailbox you'll see that the core of it is this
condition:

![](cid:4BB9A837-FE71-4597-B218-F859D421F35A at freron.com
"PastedImage.png")

> Alternately, I mostly use this button to see my own replies spliced
> into a thread that I'm currently following, so anything accomplishing
> that automatically and by default would be fine.

If you edit the resulting smart mailbox then you might want to base it
on Inbox+Sent instead of All Messages (for efficiency). (In the
Mailboxes pane of the mailbox editor.)

> Another desirable version of this would be, set up a folder such that,
> if a single message from a thread that also has messages in some other
> list of folders (for me this would be set to "Archive" and "Sent
> Messages") display the whole thread in the viewer.

In the message viewer? That is known (to me) as a conversation view.
This is currently not possible in MailMate.