[MlMt] Smart Folder Conditions not filtering as expected

Helen Holzgrafe helen at holzgrafe.com
Sat Feb 21 15:47:56 EST 2015

Thanks.

Last week I was asking about a way to see what Smart Folders a message
was filtering into.  I was beginning to suspect I was seeing some kind
of bug in the Smart Folder logic. I finally traced it to this, but it
took a bit of digging without that capability because I have close to
400000 messages.

I have now tested "Unquoted Body Text" and "Subject" separately as you
pointed out that "Common Headers or Body" is a combination of those plus
"Any Address". I have two kinds of messages that are failing: one has
MySpecialWord in the unquoted body and the other has it in the subject.
I didn't really test "Any Address" because MySpecialWord isn't in any
addresses.

Messages with MySpecialWord in the Unquoted Body:

Unquoted Body Text			does not contain	MySpecialWord  -> fails
Unquoted Body Text			contains			MySpecialWord  -> works correctly
Common Headers or Body		does not contain	MySpecialWord  -> fails
Common Headers or Body		contains			MySpecialWord  -> works correctly

These fail the same way. They will correctly filter for "contains", but
do not filter at all for "does not contain" as far as I can tell (at
least for these messages).

Messages with MySpecialWord in the Subject:

Subject						does not contain	MySpecialWord  -> works correctly
Subject						contains			MySpecialWord  -> works correctly
Common Headers or Body		does not contain	MySpecialWord  -> fails
Common Headers or Body		contain				MySpecialWord  -> works correctly

The failure for "Subject" seems only to be in when using "Common Headers
or Body".

I hope this helps narrow down the problem. I can send you some test
messages if you want them.

-Helen