[MlMt] Layouts with Non-Columnar Formatting

Tue Dec 1 10:15:58 EST 2015

On 1 Dec 2015, at 1:22, Gary Hull wrote:

> MailMate has a customizable layout engine that allows for all kinds of
> variations, but if I'm not mistaken, the panel devoted to listing
> email messages is limited to a strict spreadsheet-style row and column
> format.

Correct.

> Many mail clients, while still listing messages row by row, allow the
> formatting of "column" data to be more varied within each row. For
> instance, the sender may be listed _above_ the message title, with the
> time right-aligned on the same line as the sender. Perhaps a snippet
> is included below the title, rather than in a separate column.

I think it's usually two completely separate modes. In other words, it's
either a single column with rich data or multiple columns with simple
data per column. (A combination probably wouldn't work well.)

> Is there any chance that such a more flexible layout might come to
> MailMate?

There's a chance, but I haven't done any work on it yet (and it's a
major change/feature).